Suing WorkBench Furniture store while the store filed for Bankruptcy
BretMe
2003-12-03 15:36:21 UTC
Please respond to how to go about suing WorkBench Furniture store
(October 2003) while the store had filed for Bankruptcy in June 2003.
We brought a big wall-unit from Workbench and the movers dragged the
wall-unit across the floor and scratched our NEW maple hard wood
floor. It will cost ~$1000 to get it fix.

Please advise should we sue. Who should we sue (CEO, store manager,
movers (we don't have their full names),....) How do we collect?
What to expect? Is the store protected since it filed for bankruptcy?

Thanks for all your help.
Arthur L. Rubin
2003-12-03 16:49:48 UTC
Post by BretMe
Please respond to how to go about suing WorkBench Furniture store
(October 2003) while the store had filed for Bankruptcy in June 2003.
We brought a big wall-unit from Workbench and the movers dragged the
wall-unit across the floor and scratched our NEW maple hard wood
floor. It will cost ~$1000 to get it fix.
Question: Did you buy the unit after they filed for bankruptcy?
Was it installed after they filed for bankruptcy? It appears
the answer is "yes", but a second question then comes up:
Were you INFORMED they were in bankruptcy.
Post by BretMe
Please advise should we sue. Who should we sue (CEO, store manager,
movers (we don't have their full names),....) How do we collect?
What to expect? Is the store protected since it filed for bankruptcy?
Who?
1. The company (if a corporation) -- but you can't do that if you
purchased the unit before they filed for bankruptcy. In any case,
you can't sue them WHILE they are in bankruptcy, but your
might be able to sue them after the bankruptcy is closed
if it's a "continuing operation" bankruptcy.
2. The movers (you could collect from them directly if they
were negligent).

I think you need a lawyer (and not one of those PPL lawyers --
ALL of the work required is "pretrial").
Mike Robinson